The Mount Coolum National Park is dominated by an impressive dome-shaped mountain that rises 208 meters above the Sunshine Coast Lowlands. Mount Coolum has been dated at 26 million years old and was created when a dome-shaped bulge of magma cooled below the Earth’s surface. Aboriginal Dreamtime also has its own story on the origins of the mountain. In Dreamtime, the mountain was formed from the lifeless body of Coolum, a young warrior whose union with an Aboriginal girl Maroochy was approved by the elders. Maroochy was abducted by Ninderry, a rival from a fierce warlike tribe and even though Coolum succeeded in rescuing Maroochy, Ninderry exacted his revenge by throwing a club at Coolum, knocking off his head which later became Mudjimba Island. Mt Coolum National Park is rich in geological history and is also home to a rare and threatened plant species – the montane heath, which is only known to grow in two locations in the whole of the Sunshine Coast. Hikers, botanists and view-seekers alike will find the short trek up Mount Coolum a rewarding experience that you can easily do from your Mount Coolum holiday rentals.
Maroochydore is a vibrant coastal town located on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia. Known for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and idyllic climate, Maroochydore attracts visitors from all over the world. The town offers a range of activities, including swimming, surfing, and fishing. The nearby Maroochy River provides opportunities for boating and kayaking. Maroochydore is also home to shopping precincts, cafes, and restaurants, catering to both locals and tourists. With a relaxed atmosphere and a strong sense of community, Maroochydore is a popular destination for families and individuals looking to enjoy the beauty of the Sunshine Coast and the laid-back Australian lifestyle.
What is there to do at Maroochydore?
Maroochydore offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some popular things to do in Maroochydore:
- Beaches: Maroochydore is renowned for its beautiful beaches, perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and surfing. Mooloolaba Beach, Alex Beach, and Maroochy Beach are all worth exploring.
- Water Sports: Engage in a range of water activities such as kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, jet-skiing, or taking a scenic boat tour along the Maroochy River.
- Sunshine Plaza: Visit Sunshine Plaza, a large shopping center featuring a wide range of retail stores, dining options, and a cinema.
- Cotton Tree: Explore Cotton Tree, a picturesque riverside suburb with a lovely park, picnic areas, and a vibrant Sunday market offering local produce and crafts.
- Maroochy River: Enjoy fishing, boating, or take a leisurely cruise along the Maroochy River, which is teeming with wildlife.